Friday, December 10, 2010

The Tax Cut Deal: Obama Plays Ball in Republicans' Game


I've been asked by some people about my position on the tax cut deal struck between Obama and the Republicans earlier this week.  I haven't said anything to the group yet because I am really truly ambivalent about what I think we should do next.

Off the bat, let's be clear: I think the tax cut deal is bad, very bad. I think the people on the left who are trying to make a case for it as a stimulus are trying their best to make lemons into lemonade, but they are essentially arguing for the GOP economic ethos:  trickle-down economics... Which 30 years have shown *do not work*.

The question for me, now, as a liberal who supports the president and understands that we need to protect the presidency from a President Palin...or Brown...in 2012, is whether or not I put energy behind defending/helping pass thru a bill that I think stinks... Or do I put my energy in the risky maneuver of trying to leverage Democratic opposition to the deal into tweaking it for improvements--and not least of all, to get Obama/Democrats to find a different way to engage with the Republicans--who have shown themselves to be nothing but hijackeers (and are plain and proud about it!).

In the end, I DO think that the President's tax deal WILL pass.  The question is how to be productive in this space/time of anger/opposition/dismay/rebellion.



Some Analysis:
From The Economist: How Stimulative are Tax Cuts for the Wealthiest 2%? (Not very--close to nil)
"Supply Side Economics, Tea Party Style"

No comments:

Post a Comment

First names requested for commenters! Choose the "Name/URL" comment type on the menu (URL not required).

Comments are moderated and will not immediately appear. I may not approve comments that are negative in tone, nasty or unproductive, the final arbitration of which is dependent on me alone. : )

Anonymous pissy comments will not be approved, so don't bother. If you want to fight with me, do it on twitter. thanks!