Monday, March 28, 2011

Education.

No superman, my deep affection for John Legend notwithstanding.

(added 1/2/2012): I am quite frankly very confused by the public school/education debates.  As in all things, I start with my principles/values and look for the argument that brings my principles and values to a conclusion.  I have heard different and opposing arguments speaking to my principles. And I generally feel ill-equipped/insufficiently informed by facts to suss out for certain the better.  I am suspicious of claims but lack the tools to measure/test them adequately.

The central issue is the push towards privatization of education, thru a variety of means, but most notably the rise and push for charter schools.  They sound great!  But are they great? There are arguments against them... but are they self-interested (you know, "corrupt teachers' unions").

In situations like this, I often rely on the good judgement of people whom I trust, whom I know share central core values, whose insight and knowledge of the issues is better than mine.  Here too I run into problems as there are divided opinions among my trusted resources.

I have recently come to the conclusion that on the whole, charters are not serving the greater good--providing quality education to all children, regardless of geography, wealth, race, creed or ability.

I still feel rather shaky about the details that support this conclusion.  In a conversation, I will run out of my depth rather fast.

But I can declare with certainty principles that inform me:
  • I believe education is a fundamental human right and an American birthright
  • I believe good education for ALL children is the goal that we have not achieved and we should be striving to achieve ALL THE TIME
  • I believe in the rights of workers to unionize, as the only effective means to put workers' human interests at the table
  • I believe that corruption and ineffectiveness where it exists should be exposed and addressed--but that all organizations, institutions, persons manifest failings (and that to point out certain examples of sloppy teachers or bad union practices does not mean the whole idea is bad). 
  • I believe in PUBLIC institutions for COMMON use/good--which encompasses resources we all as a nation need, use, share:  air, water, electricity, roads, AND our nation's citizens--their minds, and therefore their education.
    • as I reject/resist privatization of --and private abuse of-- air, water... at my heart, I cannot embrace privatization of education, which is what I think charter schools ultimately is. 
Charter Schools
  • 2009 August « 10 Best Reasons to Oppose Charter Schools Grassroots Education Movement (NYC) 
  • via my friend Cara ("By Any Media Necessary") on the Face  (1/2/2011) : "For those "ed-reformers" keeping score at home, the KKK supports Charter Schools and the NAACP rejects them. You can cloak in language of equity all you want, the national movement for Charter schools is a return to Plessy vs. Ferguson."  The linked statement from NAACP:
    • BE IT RESOLVED, that the NAACP will strongly advocate for immediate, overarching improvements to the existing public education system; and 
    • BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the NAACP rejects the emphasis on charter schools as the vanguard approach for the education of children, instead of focusing attention, funding, and policy advocacy on improving existing, low performing public schools and will work through local, state and federal legislative processes to ensure that all public schools are provided the necessary funding, support and autonomy necessary to educate all students; and
    • BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED, that the NAACP will urge all of its Units to work to support public schools throughout the nation to educate all children to their highest potential.




Attack the Teachers!
  • I’m Not a Public School Teacher but I Played One for Three Weeks, Cara Berg Powers, 3/2011:  
    •  Public School Teachers have been especially under attack, caught in a perfect storm of well-funded falsehoods perpetuated through a centrally-owned media system. If the right-wing is to be believed, teachers are lazy, selfish, ineffective and callous, tolerating our children just for a paycheck and summer vacations
The Politics of Public Education
Crisis in Dairyland - For Richer and Poorer - teachers and Wall St. 3/2011
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Crisis in Dairyland - For Richer and Poorer - Teachers and Wall Street
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook

Food for thought

No comments:

Post a Comment

First names requested for commenters! Choose the "Name/URL" comment type on the menu (URL not required).

Comments are moderated and will not immediately appear. I may not approve comments that are negative in tone, nasty or unproductive, the final arbitration of which is dependent on me alone. : )

Anonymous pissy comments will not be approved, so don't bother. If you want to fight with me, do it on twitter. thanks!